Monday 5 May 2008

Lately...



Every once in a while, life hits a harmonic note and everything comes together, feels balanced out, and the rare & elusive veil of peace falls over your face. I had the privilege of such an experience today as I ate lunch.

Today I got up, made my girlfriend lunch, waved goodbye to her as she left for work, hopped on a bike and rode three strenuous laps around the Prospect Park Loop. I returned home, worked on my paintings, and made myself a salad with arugula, tomatoes, asparagus, beets, goat cheese, sesame seeds, almonds, lemon juice and olive oil. I looked out the window of my Crown Heights apartment and just felt good.

It’s easy to pick up this scent when you’re unemployed and can manage to dodge the anxiety of unemployment for an afternoon. I am currently living off of the money I saved from working a full-time job for an entire year in NYC. I hated every moment of it, and tried hard to make the best of it. Now I’ve bought my freedom, at least for a while. Not exactly the most sound financial plan, but when your interests lie in endeavors that don’t exactly pay the bills on a regular basis, a full-time job that does usually equals imprisonment of the body and erosion of the soul.

Well, now I’m free, for the moment, and trying to string together art commissions and sales so as to keep riding the wave. I might try my hand at expanding my creative empire to include hand-etched copper bracelets, art prints, maybe some t-shirts, and more paintings. Working on a show for this summer…

No comments: