Saturday 9 August 2008

UPDATE: Art Theft & Other Info



Back in February I blogged rather humorously about Art Theft, and marvelled at how evocative the concept was - the fact that the value of art is not exactly objective, like, say drugs, weapons or diamonds.
While doing my morning reading which includes PlasticBlog, I stumbled upon the Memphis Police blog, which is a juicy peek into the comically dramatic world of cops.
I wanted to know if the NYPD had sucha blog, and I found The Squad Room. The first article was about Art Theft! The FBI has an Art Crime Team!And although i couldn't access the database, the FBI has a National Stolen Art File.
From the Squad Room :"Italy is the only country whose government takes art crime as seriously as it should."
Apparently they have 300 agents, vs. our 13.

1 comment:

Virgil Disgr4ce said...

Whoa, haha... sadly I don't think they investigate what I would call "art crimes," like, say, paintings of lilies in a pond or other paintings that look like the things they look like. If I were on that team I'd have an ongoing investigation of Thomas Kincaid.