Thursday 28 July 2011

less money, mo' problems


7.21.11

We drive to Boise without problems. Straight to the Visual Arts Collective, which is a beautiful space with an art gallery, a huge stage, pro sound system…
We played there last fall, the sound is amazing, everyone on staff is a sweetie.

As if we needed any more hardship, Just before our set the Rhodes Piano, which was previously fallen upon by a giant naked guy and had its stand broken, collapses on the rigged stand that I "fixed" with a master lock. The piano falls so hard that a plate on the stand impales the keyboard and when Brandon and CB lift it up they can't see the stand because it is stuck on the bottom of the rhodes. I was in the bathroom, Cb comes to me to break the bad news.

We sub in a lighter stand and soldier on. What else can you do?

The show goes great despite our disbelief in the continuous flow of bad luck The shows are always amazing. Everyone is focused, intensely in their own world and yet all together and orchestrating this wall of sound we call our set. Its all we got at this point, but its the reason we come out here.

I"m exhausted, I pass out on the floor after the show in between keyboard cases. Brandon finds me and laughs and wakes me up. The band drives to a diner to fuel up and make an overnight drive to Missoula MT. I stay in the van and pass out. hopefully when I wake we're alive and makin' our way to MT!

No comments: