Thursday 7 October 2010

En route to denver


we just finished driving across the entire state of Iowa. Amber waves of grain, yo. Interstate 80 all the way from Iowa city to Lincoln, Nebraska where our nest show is, after tonight, we get another much needed day off to rest and regenerate before the 7 + hour drive to Denver CO where we play at 3 Kings (we played there two years ago on our first tour, when we were graciously hosted by one of the members of Planes Mistaken for Stars - I'd like to mention that this time around, when in Chicago, another member of Planes - Garret - treated us to an incredible home-cooked mexican dinner that blew us all away and left us speechless.).

The sun has been shining all day, beautiful driving weather, t-shirts and sunglasses, rolling fields & lots of windmills (more than I remember last year!) which stand incredibly tall in the landscape and appear to spin really fast for their size. I find them to be kinda terrifying in a beautiful way - I guess that's textbook sublime - the way something so huge can move so fast, it's unsettling to such small creature. I'm happy they're there, though & they're fun to videotape.

I've been shooting lots of vids & taking pics, maybe this year I'll have the time to make a proper tour doc… I also have lots of 8mm movie film from 2008 that I never had the money to develop, but now I do!

cars make dramatic dust clouds on side roads along the highway, I imagine peeling through those roads can make you feel like you're in an action movie, even if you are just driving to the store to pick up birdseed.

Lincoln nebraska has a little coffee shop with cute friendly baristas and lots of space to camp out and do the internet and draw and kill time. We are all looking forward to nesting in this place and relaxing. Something I NEVER do in New York, for sure. That's one of the coolest things about touring, you get to experience down-time, which I know only by name, myth, and faint memory these days. having a moment to just sit and reflect during the day is now a major luxury for me. Funny how all the little pie pieces of an ideal existence are always shifting - money, time, relaxation, good health, sexiness;), friends, good job you like to work at, time for yourself, solid spiritual / inner constitution, etc….. well, down-time ain't one mine, I traded it for larger pieces of other pies.

No comments: