Sunday 24 July 2011

Denver Day 1

7.18.11
Denver day 1

I awoke at dawn, in Colorado. I take out my earplugs, stretch, wrap up my sleeping bag. The air was so wonderfully COOL last night I am in a hoodie and a sleeping bag!
Evan is driving. We stop at a gas station. I buy a starbucks mocha frappacino drink thing and a gallon of water. I pee and brush my teeth.
We drive a little more and pass miles and miles of colorado flatlands filled with corn. Everything smells like cow shit. Miles and miles of cow shit. We burn sage sticks over and over again.

Evan passes the torch to CB, I remain in shotgun. No clouds in the sky. Cooler, drier air than the East. Big puffy hawks are perched on all the power lines.

Slowly, the smell of manure fades and the sight of the Rockies emerges on the horizon. I look back to Evan, but he's asleep. I think to myself that I appreciate the energy of traveling with someone who is seeing many of these cities & states for the first time. There's always new things to see, I'm a window seat person for life, but I have seen this landscape before.

We make it to Denver, land at our old hub the Yellow Feather coffee house, call our friends Neil & Michelle with whom we are staying, and get some time to chill.

Neil & Chuck's band Git Some headlines our show tonight… they're badasses, and the live show is intense.

Before the show Evan and I crash in the van for about an hour, its no green room, but it'll do. We drove straight through from Lincoln the night before, so we were all incredibly exhausted, plus we made the mistake of eating giant burritos and having a beer at about 5 pm, which sealed our fate.

We played at Neil's old space in downtown Denver, the stage was on a half-pipe. Our friends Cigarette were on tour headed back to VA, and passed through Denver & played the show, it was great to see them, really beautiful chill material.

No comments: