Sunday 24 July 2011

Denver Day 2

7.19.11

Denver day 2

I wake up earlier than the group and head off to the Yellow Feather to write, work on video, post photos, drink coffee and get some rare alone time on tour.
I'm pacing back and forth in front of the coffee shop talking on the phone when out comes a barista with a bell jar filled with a fresh iced cappuccino!
"this was a test, I was teaching someone how to make it, enjoy"

Denver is cloudless with the exception of a great billowing wall of cumulus cauliflowering over the rockies off in the distance.

eventually, Ghastly and all our Denver friends are there, I pack up and we head out to Goose Town Tavern for some delicious pizza and local IPA's served up by Chuck.
Across the street from Goose Town is the Bell House, which is an olde-timey looking' theater with neon lights and a big marquee. Battles is playing tonight! Battles, the new project of Don Caballero Guitarist has been following us on this tour, laying waste to all of our turn-outs and, well, making sure there's a high profile main event in every city we play in.
but we love them, so we sneak into the theater to hear the drummer sound check. We eventually get interrogated, and Evan very professionally identifies us:
"Oh, yeah, we're a touring band, we have a show tonight at 3 Kings, just wanted to see (name of Battles drummer) play."
Security politely nods as if to say,
"I don't speak your language, but I'm sure you will be leaving any moment now."
He was right.

The bursting cumulus torrent over the mountains has reached Denver, and it starts to pour…

chuck's shift is up, we load his bike in the van and head over to his house, where we say hi to his fam, drink tea, pass out, watch spiders, and weather the storm.

My sister Erin just moved to Boulder where our cousin Grace lives, they drive out and meet us at Sputnik Bar, which is like Denver's Top (g-ville). After some beers, the best grilled cheese sandwich I've ever had [asigao, tomato/pesto, thick crispy bread], & a photo booth that really can't fit a band of 4 though we tried, we head over to 3 Kings down the block and get ready to rock out with Git Some again!

I taped our entire set, which I'll post to YouTube soon. I also taped individual Git Some performances, which were stellar! The singer spent most of this show on the floor & in the arms of the crowd, everyone rocked with a ferociousness. Thanks to Michelle for running our merch table!
Whiskey shots materialized and then vanished, and by the time we got home I was done. I remember Brandon offering a bottle of champagne to me while I was brushing my teeth. I envisioned the massive hangover my bandmates would have the next day and I declined in favor of my sleeping bag. It was 4am anyhow. I have a rule on tour that if a new bottle of champagne is opened past 4am and the only people surrounding me are Ghastly City Sleep I do not touch that champagne. This old man had some dreaming' to do.

No comments: